Yes, I Have Changed

A friend teased me with a gibe, “You have changed now, are no longer what you were in good old past.” Usually, I tend to feel bad about such gibes, but this time, it got me thinking, “Is it really bad to change?” As I took a closer look, it was clear that I have changed over the years, but it is a mixed bag. In certain aspects, age has mellowed me down, while in others I have become more assertive. I find myself expressing vociferously on certain issues, whereas just shrugging and remaining silent at others. There are times when I just go crazy and times when I display wisdom. I list below many ways in which I have changed, and some of them are still work-in-progress.

Yes, I have changed. After years of loving my parents, siblings, spouse, children, and friends, finally I have learnt to start loving myself. I have realised that I do not have to act as if the burden of the whole world rests on my shoulders, and have started doing things that helps me create a happier life for myself and for those around me. After all, I am responsible for my happiness, and I owe it to myself.

I have learnt not to bother about my creased shirt or mismatched trouser. After all, personality speaks louder than appearances. I don't bother if my face is unshaven, or my hair have streaks of gray in them. After all beauty of my soul outshines the beauty of my face.

I am learning not to let others make me feel incompetent, as I am not only what they see in me. I might not be good at certain things but I am excellent at others. I walk away from people who don't value me, since they might not know my worth, but I do. I remain cool when someone plays dirty politics to outrun me in the rat race; I am not a rat and neither am I in any race.

I am learning not to be embarrassed by my emotions. it's my emotions that make me human. I now tell people if I like them, there is nothing wrong in liking someone.

I have stopped telling the elderly that they have already narrated that story many times. The story makes them walk down the memory lane and relive the past. I have learn not to correct people even when I know they are wrong; the onus of making everyone perfect is not on me. Peace is more precious than perfection. I started giving compliments freely and generously, since it is a great mood enhancer not only for the recipient but also for me.

I now stopped bargaining with poor vegetables and fruits vendors. After all, a few rupees more is not going to burn a hole in my pocket but it might help the poor fellow save for his kid’s school fees. I pay the cab driver and walk away without waiting for the change. The extra money might bring a smile on his face. After all he is toiling much harder for a living than me.

I have learnt to live each day as if it were the last. Who knows, it might be the last.

Yes, I have changed, and I am loving the new me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like this post? Please leave a comment - your feedback gives me encouragement for writing. Please subscribe to my blog to support it. - Sanjay