2013 - A Memorable Year for me

Years come and go, but when I sit down and think about last year, it gives me a high. There is no doubt in my mind that 2013 is one of the most memorable years in my life. It has given me  more than one reasons to be nostalgic and I will cherish these memories for the rest of my life. It is not really easy to write about this, but I decided to do it as spending some time to give vent to my feelings is another way to nurture this bliss.

25th Anniversary of M. Tech.
I completed 25 years of my M. Tech. degree this years and this brings back fond memories of campus days. I can write a whole post on this topic, but there are just two points I want to talk out based upon the experience of these years:
  • By the time I completed my engineering degree, I was so fed up with 16 years long grill of classroom education that I turned dead against the idea of post graduation. After a few years in Tata Electric, my senior persuaded me to go for it. (Thank you Shirish Deodhar). Do I feel it was worth the trouble to do post graduation? Certainly yes. In fact I see it as my first step towards the process of self-driven learning that has continued since then. Possibly the break I took is equally vital to get over the feeling of drudgery associated with compulsive learning.
  • This one is more technical; If I have to do it again, would I go again for post graduation in Computer Science after a graduation in Electronics, and why? At that time, I was crazy about Electronics, and I still am; so why bother about Software? While I did not know it at that time, it is no longer possible to imagine Electronics without Software today. You use Software to design Electronics, to build it, and then you run Embedded Software on your intelligent electronic device. So, a sound background of software concepts is very helpful, even if you may want to pursue Electronics as a career. The mobile phones or music players of today are  looking like computers of the past, and an understanding of computers is vital for building such devices.  
25th Wedding Anniversary
We completed 25 years of our marriage this year, a significant milestone to cherish and celebrate. I have captured my thoughts about our years together in a separate blog post - 25 years of love and togetherness. When we celebrated the occasion, we were overwhelmed by the affection showered by friends and relative who came from near and far to share the joy of the moment with us. It culminated in a feeling that we have refreshed our ties as a couple and as an extended family. All I can say is a heartfelt thanks to all who could join us, and all who were with us in spirit, if not in flesh.

60th Wedding Anniversary of Parents
Papaji and Mummiji completed 60 years of their marriage this year. It was a momentous occasion for everyone in the family, where all of us wanted to be with them, to celebrate the moment and to learn from them. The resulting two day family trip to Mahavirji was an enjoyable experience that we have never had before, and was a perfectly fitting way to celebrate it. Most people felt "ye dil maange more" after the trip, and I hope we find similar occasions in future to spend time together as a family.

Kids becoming Mature Individuals
Nothing can describe the feeling of elation you get when you see your kids starting to behave with maturity. Last year, there were numerous occasions when I got this feeling of satisfaction. With Divya doing well with her earn and learn program, and developing into a loving and mature independent person, I feel very proud of her as a parent. Similarly, as Siddharth inches closer to his class X exams, it is good to see him taking more and more responsibility for his studies. Their academic achievements like securing top position in the batch, good grades or Scholar Badge award from the school add to the fun and confirm that they are in the right direction.

   
Creating a Legacy of Positive Thinking
I try to be regular in writing my blog on positive thinking on a regular basis, but like exercise, it is hard to stay on course. I am happy to look back and note that I could do it with fair regularity last year. Here are some of the posts that I really enjoyed writing:
Birth of Enchanting Engineers  
I am passionate about music, and enjoy spending my leisure time on it. I was fortunate to come in contact with a bunch of talented people at work, who share an equally strong passion - and together we formed a music band in 2011. This band came of age last year and we gave it a name - Enchanting Engineers. I am glad that we could give adequate attention to it during 2013 and in return we got a feeling of fulfillment, and many happy memories to cherish. Again, this is a topic on which I can write a full post and I did write it - Enchanting Engineers - A Musical Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like this post? Please leave a comment - your feedback gives me encouragement for writing. Please subscribe to my blog to support it. - Sanjay