The Four Dimensions of Well Being


Most of my blog posts center around positive thinking or self-improvement. For a change, I wrote a post with tips on managing money. I was amazed to see the overwhelming response on this post. In just a few months, it became the popular post on the blog. My blog aims to provide material to help “charge your batteries”, so this post was somewhat out of place. I am no financial expert either, so I wasn’t sure what was going on here. I thought some more about it, I came up with the following possible answer:

As this picture shows, we are sum total of four distinct parts – Body, Mind, Heart, and Spirit and we need to continuously charge our batteries in these four areas. You can call them four dimensions of well-being.


  • Physical well-being relates to our body, health, material comforts, and money.
  • Mental well-being is about knowledge, thinking, and intellect.
  • Social / Emotional well-being includes love, relationships, trust, family, and friends
  • Spiritual well-being is about the meaning in life, purpose, values and religion

All the above are vital dimensions and we need to nurture each of them to achieve the right balance. If we ignore any one of these aspects, it will affect our happiness adversely. So far, the physical part was neglected in this blog, as it focused around mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being. The post on money management addressed this neglected area, and that may be the reason why people liked it so much.

So, I decided that there needs to be a better balance in my blog, hence in future you will see more posts on money and health matters. As a validation of this hypothesis, I came out with a follow up post on how to make money in stock markets, and as expected, it rose to top three posts in just one month. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like this post? Please leave a comment - your feedback gives me encouragement for writing. Please subscribe to my blog to support it. - Sanjay